Director, Translational Oncology
ALX Oncology is a clinical-stage immuno-oncology company discovering and developing therapies that activate or regulate the immune system. Our lead candidate, ALX148, is designed to block the CD47 checkpoint mechanism and is in clinical development for a broad range of tumor types. ALX Oncology was formed in 2015 as an independent, private biotech company. Our compensation program includes competitive salary, equity participation and attractive bonus incentives.
We seek a highly motivated Scientist/Physician Scientist with scientific and clinical expertise in immune-oncology/hematology to join the ALX team. The candidate will work within a multi-disciplined development team and will be responsible for the design and implementation of translational and clinical biomarker strategies for the company’s growing oncology portfolio. This position will be located in Burlingame, CA. Domestic and/or International travel may be required up to 20% of work time.
These may include but are not limited to:
- Oversee and implement the Company’s biomarker programs, translating scientific discoveries into clinical strategies, e.g., predictive/pharmacodynamic/resistance biomarkers, molecular response endpoints, indication selection and combination strategies.
- Develop and successfully implement biomarker components of clinical trials, including protocol development, execution of stratification strategies, and the implementation of clinical biomarker and pharmacodynamic assays for the Company’s clinical studies.
- Evaluate CROs for assay/technology platforms and data analysis capabilities, create SOWs and interface with CROs for execution of services.
- Maintain day-to-day and close partnerships with Clinical Science and Operations to ensure integration of scientific and clinical strategy involving sample collection, processing, storage and data transfer.
- Contribute to the discovery and development of prototype companion diagnostics and provide guidance to potential partners for co-development of companion diagnostics.
- Support regulatory communications involving relevant sections of clinical and regulatory documents, e.g., clinical protocols, informed consents, sample collection manuals, Investigators’ Brochures, pre-IND and IND submission documents, addressing Health Authority questions.
- Build relationships and collaborations with scientific leaders, KOLs, academic partners, and CROs.
- Publish scientific and methodological results, which is strongly encouraged. Scientists are expected to develop into externally recognized leaders in translational science who influence the field of personalized healthcare in oncology.
Education, Experience, and Skills
- M.D., Ph.D., or M.D./Ph.D. degree in a relevant scientific field (e.g., hematology/oncology, cancer biology, molecular biology, immunology) with a minimum of 5 years of experience working in the biotechnology or pharmaceutical industry.
- Demonstrated experience in the development, implementation and execution of early clinical development strategies for novel drug candidates, particularly in biologics, oncology and immune oncology programs from a translational medicine perspective.
- Prior experience with designing biomarker strategy, acquiring and analyzing biomarker data from clinical trials, and integrating with clinical endpoints to effectively support the development program.
- Knowledge of integrating patient selection biomarker strategy and companion diagnostic development.
- Experience working with clinical and translational operations to design kits, clinical lab manuals and data transfer specifications in order to guarantee integrity of sample collection, handling and analysis.
- Familiarity with establishing and analyzing data from immunohistochemical (simple and multiplex), flow-based, multiplex ELISA and gene expression assays (Nanostring or RNAseq).
- Ability to work with large, multiomic data sets and familiar with techniques for exploring associations of biomarkers with clinical outcomes.
- Must be a motivated, results-oriented self-starter, and demonstrate effectiveness and growth in a fast-paced and dynamic environment. Ability to collaborate, lead, influence and motivate others.
- Outstanding presentation and communication skills.
ALX Oncology is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants should be legally entitled to work for any employer in the US. Title and salary are commensurate with experience.
To apply for this position, please send your cover letter and resume to